Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

A few years back around this time of the year I was asked to host "Kid's Time" during the Worship Service at Pea Ridge United Methodist Church (which is my church, natch). I cooked up a goofy idea that actually worked.

The kids sat down at the front of the church with me, and I asked for two volunteers. I gave one a sealed envelope, and the other a microphone and asked her to play reporter. I told her to go out in the audience and ask anyone this question: "There's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day. Why don't they have a Children's Day?"

The reporter picked someone in the congregation and asked the question. He answered, "Because every day is Children's Day." I asked the other volunteer to open the envelope and show it to the audience. Printed on it were the words, "Because every day is Children's Day."

It wasn't a set-up, but I guessed that almost any adult would answer the question the same way. It does seem strange that we only set aside one day for the person who brought us into the world, but that's life for you.

I just wanted to say that, in my heart, every day is Mother's Day, as I offer thanks for being blessed with three great Moms: my mother Lucille, who is kind, thoughtful and caring to a fault - the best Mom ever; my mother-in-law Linda, who defies the comic stereotype by being supportive and good-hearted always; and my wife Jeanette, the mother of my children and the most wonderful, loving and thoughtful person I know.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: