Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back to the Controversy

Going back to the controversy about community theatre and staging more shows for adults in Huntington, I wanted to share some more thoughtful comments from Ryan Hardiman. I've once again edited the post down a bit - you can read the complete version (and a boatload of other opinions) right here.

Even though we all have somewhat different ideas, one thing we seem to agree on is that there is a hunger for more challenging theatre in Huntington.

I know I have done some controversial shows (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Rocky Horror Show, Cabaret, Hair) and because my comments started this discussion, some may get the impression that those are mainly the kinds of shows I’m interested in. I’ve done those shows without apology and without inhibition because they allowed me to learn and stretch as an actor. I am not pursuing a career in theatre, but it is an important part of my life and I do take it seriously, whether I am on the boards or in the audience.

You may be surprised that most of the shows I really want to do aren’t (or shouldn’t be) considered that controversial at all. I embrace a wide variety of shows. (as evidenced by going from Hedwig straight into Beauty and the Beast!)


The shows I submitted to the poll of "shows I'd like to see locally" were:

1. Man of La Mancha
2. Sweeney Todd
3. The Secret Garden
4. Evita
5. Jekyll & Hyde
6. The Last Five Years


Of those, I wouldn’t consider any of them too touchy for Huntington audiences in general. I was never suggesting that a group like HOT change their formula and stage Sweeney Todd, but I believe they could easily do at least three of the above shows and I think any show on this list could be produced with success by other groups in Huntington. It just seems that if a show is not either a time-tested classic or extremely family friendly (or can be edited to make it so), there is a fear that it will not bring in an audience, and I do not agree. I have done a lot of shows in Charleston and Ashland and they have been very well attended (by people from Huntington as well).

Some have even been premieres of completely original works, which have had no previous following at all, and they too have been successful. Charleston Light Opera Guild has been in business since 1949, have an audience that ranges from children to older adults, and although they frequently produce old-fashioned shows, they also successfully mount shows like Chicago, Cabaret, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, La Cage Aux Folles, Into the Woods, Little Shop of Horrors, and Pippin among others.

I don’t think for a minute that audiences in Charleston or other surrounding areas are any more sophisticated or smarter than people in Huntington. Neither are audiences in Athens, Ohio who show up en masse for all kinds of theatre. I think the problem might be a false perception of what audiences will embrace or reject and a fear of losing money. We want a guarantee.

What I want personally, whether as an audience member or an actor, is a unique experience and to walk away with some new perspective. I want to be challenged, and excited, I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. At times I want to laugh my fool head off, and at times I want to be moved to tears. Maybe there is a line between art and commerce, but I think they can coexist.

I just feel strongly about taking steps toward more exciting and challenging theatre in Huntington.

2 comments:

eddie_harbert said...

Again, I agree with Ryan that we absolutely do need to add more challenging theatre fare to our audiences here in Huntington. Hopefully, Art Resources for the Tri-State will be doing that this June with its offering of "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum".

It is my hope that other established theatre groups in the community will take up the stand that Coni Anthony and I took with Renaissance Players, prior to my retiring the company, to introduce new, exciting, adult theatre productions to the Huntington area. It is a risk, but it is a risk worth taking.

If people really want to see new theatre productions happen in the community however, they need to be willing to sponsor these new theatre options and provide the funding that is required. Fear of losing money is one of the biggest reasons that newer shows are not performed. I often had to put up my own money or beg for sponsors for many of Renaissance Theatre's productions. If people want these new productions to happen, they have to be willing to work to get the financial backing that is required.

Chuck Minsker said...

Eddie is absolutely right, for any theatre group, the need for financial support is crucial. If it wasn't so expensive to put on a show, you'd probably see a lot more productions, in all shapes and sizes. But any group that puts on a show is taking a financial risk, so most are cautious about what shows they produce. Wouldn't it be nice if that wasn't a concern?