Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

How Popular is "High School Musical?"

The High School Musical TV movie is a huge success, merchandise sales are fast and furious and DVD and CD sales are at the top of the charts - but I could have told you that the show is popular everywhere because of the response to the announcement of auditions for our show here in Huntington.

Thanks to the Internet, the announcement was read by people all over the world, and we had inquiries - I kid you not - from as far away as Great Britain. Those inquiring apparently thought our local production was the same as the ones produced by The Disney Channel, and they wanted to audition.

I even had a phone call yesterday from a young woman (I'm not sure where she was calling from, but I didn't recognize the area code) who thought we were auditioning for the High School Musical 3 movie, which (as far as I know) is only being talked about right now.

It's great to have so much interest, but I always feel like Scrooge when I tell them that we're "just" working on a community theatre production. Of course, in local terms it's going to be a huge production in more ways than one.

More on that... later!

No comments: