Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

First Day of Auditions

As I've written before, next to the actual performance of the show, the auditions are probably the most stressful part of putting on a show - both for the actor trying out and for the directing team.

We had almost 50 young actors turn out today for the High School Musical auditions, and the talent level is really impressive. We saw quite a few returning veterans of First Stage Theatre, and some actors who are new to the children's theatre. The good news is, we're well on our way to lining up the cast.

Of course, we're still looking for more talent. As usual, we have lots of young women vying for parts in the show, but a real shortage of guys. I'd love to have a cast that's almost half male, but that's a rare event - and First Stage has lost quite a number of its older male performers to graduation in the last three years.

I'm looking forward to see what Sunday's audition will bring. That will leave callbacks a week from now and then the final casting.

We'll see what tomorrow holds! Now, back to my Harry Potter book.

2 comments:

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

If only I was 15 years younger...

I do a mean "Bop to the Top"...:)

Chuck Minsker said...

Ha! If I was only 15 years younger, I'd still be too old by 20 years! That's why I prefer the backstage jobs - much safer for a geezer like me.