Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Second Day of Auditions

That sound you hear is the directing team heaving a sigh of relief. That's because we wrapped up the second round of High School Musical auditions earlier today.

Until the auditions are finished, the questions in your mind are always, "Do we have enough performers who are right for the parts? Will enough guys show up? Will we get enough strong singers?"

The answer to all those questions, this time around, is a resounding "Yes!" After screening almost 100 hopeful actors, I'm confident that we're going to have a strong cast for this show.

The next step is to hold callbacks. In this case, we're bringing back about a dozen performers who are being considered for the four lead roles. Once the callbacks are finished, we'll sit down and cast the show, and then post the cast list on July 30.

Casting is always difficult, because you just can't cast everyone who tried out - there wouldn't be enough room on the stage if they were all up there. It's a difficult process to make the decisions of who stays and who goes, especially when you know an actor has a lot of talent - but they're just not right for this play. I always worry that I've soured someone on the theatre by rejecting them - but it's part of the process that every actor - and every director - has to go through.

More news later! Now, back to Harry Potter (I'm on page 300)!

4 comments:

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

Harry Potter?! You mean you weren't watching "High School Musical" on Disney Channel?...:)

Chuck Minsker said...

Oh, I have't completely gone crazy. I was recording "HSM" on my Tivo.

Len LaCara said...

If you don't love how the book ends, Chuck, I'll be shocked.

Chuck Minsker said...

Don't tell me what happens!!! LALALALALALALALA!!!

Just kidding - was there a fight in your house over who got to read it first? Evan and I have been trading off. So far, it's quite excellent - it'll make a great movie.

Speaking of which, I finally saw the new movie - I thought it was excellent. "Order of the Phoenix" isn't my favorite book, but it was one of the better movies.